Friday, January 15, 2016

137 E. Bridge St, Plainwell (Part 1)



I spent a lot of my younger years in this building at 137 E. Bridge Street in downtown Plainwell. It's the former home of the Rideau Workroom and more recently, a motorcycle repair shop. But its first use, and for nearly 20 years it was home to Ace Engravers, Inc., my family's business.


A flood of memories came rushing back to me when a man approached the Plainwell Planning Commission, of which I am a member, and presented a new request to use the building. As we discussed his application I realized that while I have a very large collection of old photos of Plainwell, I didn't have one of this building. But, thanks to local historian Sandy Stamm, I now have this one. The photo shows the new building at 137 E. Bridge St. between Agnes Jackson's Style shop to the west (left) and Gray Electric on the east. I did have one picture taken inside the business showing my grandfather, E.W. "Ted" Higgs etching a printing plate.


My grandfather had been involved in the graphic arts since his youth when he went to work for Gage Printing Company in Battle Creek. Later, he worked for photoengraving companies in Detroit and Kalamazoo. Both of his sons, Bill (who was killed in World War II) and my dad, Bob, worked with him at Crescent Engraving in Kalamazoo. He later became manager of Artcraft Engraving in Kalamazoo, and my mother went to work in the office there.

By the early '50's, my grandfather and my dad decided to start their own company, and Ace Engravers was born. At first it was located in a large, old building on the south side of E. Bridge St. in Plainwell... a building which was razed to make way for construction of a new bank building at the corner of E. Bridge and S. Anderson. I can almost remember the old building. Faced with the need to make way for new construction, Ace moved into a new building across the street, built for them by Bob Gray, owner of Gray Electric, who would remain their landlord for nearly two decades.

I'll have more about time I spent in this building in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment