Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Glenn Frey: R.I.P.


I am not generally "star-struck." During my 53 years in radio I have been afforded many opportunities to meet and talk with celebrities. And, especially as I get older the thought of  shaking hands and exchanging pleasantries with "stars," let alone going to a concert holds less and less appeal. But a year and a half ago when my daughter arranged for me to attend an Eagles concert in Grand Rapids and meet the band backstage, I jumped at the chance. You see, The Eagles may be one of my few claims to fame in broadcasting.

Back in 1974, when I was the Program Director and Music Director at WKMI, one of the top-rated radio stations in West Michigan, I "broke" the band's first Number 1 hit: "The Best Of My Love" from the "On The Border" album. The story of how that happened has been told a few times in the media so I won't repeat it here. But, apparently that is what got our group a backstage pass for the Grand Rapids show.

I didn't know what to expect from the band. Some famous musicians are known to be curt, or rude, or arrogant, or whatever. That was not the case with The Eagles. As we stood backstage before the concert the guys in the band came strolling down the hall and greeted us warmly, like we were old friends. We chit-chatted, talked about "The Best Of My Love" and my small part in its success, and had pictures taken. To make the evening even better, as we sat in the audience during the show, Eagles co-founder, Glenn Frey, took the time to tell the audience how that first Number 1 song became a hit and introduced me from the stage. I won't kid you. It was a thrill. And now, he's gone. Glenn Frey died yesterday in New York.

There are numerous stories in the news about his passing. Lots of folks are talking about his contributions to American music. He was a very talented musician and songwriter. But from my experience, Glenn Frey (and the rest of The Eagles) were just a bunch of really nice guys.


R.I.P.


  (L-R: Timothy B. Schmit, Glenn Frey, Jim Higgs, Joe Walsh, Don Henley)

No comments:

Post a Comment